Saturday, December 8, 2007

Lessons learnt (read it with humour)

The trial run through Namibia brought valuable experiences.
 
1. I can do with only half the clothes of what I had with now.
 
2. Avoid any time schedule. Follow your inner clock and stop where you want for how long you want to. Keep an eye only the flight date back to SA.
 
3. Never rely only on a credit card. Have emergency cash with you. Technology will fail you somewhere on your trip.
 
4. One has to film more, still camera and video camera.
 
5. Ride shorter distances every day.
 
6. One has to do a thorough check of the bike (tyres, chain, bolts and nuts, filters) at least every third day.
 
7. Never ask a motorist about road conditions. Their interpretation of road conditions differ to that of a motorcyclist.
 
8. Be friendly towards border officials / soldiers / police at road blocks. However, don't overdo your compliments about the beauty of the country or friendliness of the people. They are more intelligent than to fall for that. Try something else to improve their mood / attitude.
 
9. If a police woman or female soldier stops you at a road block be prepared to take off your goggles, bandana, helmet. They are more thorough with their checks as their male colleagues.
 
10. Avoid a guest house or lodge where the manager or proprietor is a single lady that sits every evening with the guests in the bar. Somewhere she neglects her responsibilities. I never stayed at such a place where some of the lights, room safe or taps were in perfect order, or where the breakfast was late because the staff came to work late, or not at all.
 
 
I will add to the list as the experiences increase.

1 comment:

Sophie Sexton said...

LODIE~

I am finally back home - what a wild week!

My father-in-law is doing much better now, and I thank you for your kindness in asking. He got worse before he got better - the pain killers were making him delirious, and at one point he became quite faint, as his blood pressure and internal temperature dropped, but as of today he seems to be gathering his bearings. As for me, it’s good to be home and have my morning coffee and proper afternoon tea.

We had a spectacular ice storm here today and I ventured outside to get some pictures. I will be posting them to my blog soon. As for your adventures, it appears they are as wild as my imagination. It floored me to see the elephant crossing the road directly in front of you - aren’t you worried they will charge you?
They are such magnificent creatures, (as are all animals), but what an experience to see them in their element like that - you are a very lucky person.

When will your trip end?

Sophie