Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Radio interview in Nelspruit

Good morning!
 
My ride on the KLR to Nelspruit was cold and wet. The weather surprised us all. A sudden influx of cold and wet weather dropped temperatures of high in the thrirties to around ten.
 
I enjoyed the four interviews with Andre du Plessis and Leon Nel so much! The time went past too quickly. The first interview will be aired later October on their Wednesday show. As soon as I know when I will let you know. The radio station can be heard on the internet as well.
 
Both Andre and Leon are KLR riders.
 
After the interviews we left for Graskop to the Summit Lodge. On the way up into the mountains, while the fog was rolling in and covering the forests with a thick white blanket, Andre suddenly turned of onto a dirt track. Dirt wasn't the right description. It was muddy and slippery and not that easy to ride. Halfway into it a truck with logs on the back was standing on the right of the track. It slipped off the track and was bogged down in the mud. No chance of getting it out in the failing light.
 
Now and then Andre disappeared in the thick fog in front of me. He was moving fast on his KLR. I was still in my touring mode of nursing my bike over and through difficult sections.
 
Too soon the muddy ride was over and were we back on the tarmac again. We continued on to Sabie and then to Graskop. I had an easier ride than Andre as I could only follow his red taillight through the thick fog around the many bends.
 
The Summit Lodge was a warm and dry haven after the wet ride up to Grasbok. Even better was the fact that it is a biker-friendly lodge. It had two log fires burning to warm up cold and wet biker bodies. Have a look at the lodge at www.summitlodge.co.za
 
Today it is back to Naboom.
 
Have a great day!
 
 

No comments: